In my previous post, I have talked about a basic way to hide files or folders in Windows XP using in-built option. Unfortunately, Windows XP does not have any user-friendly built-in tool to create secure folders in multiple users environment (i.e one user-account used by multiple users). Windows XP allows to encrypt data on the hard disk but that is not helpful in this situation. This protects the data if the computer is stolen.
In this discussion, you will be using a free program called “ Free Hide Folder” to hide a folder in Windows XP/Vista/7. Free Hide Folder is a free computer security program from cleanersoft.com to hide private folders. This is a very simple program and your folder will be protected by a password that you can change or remove at any time.
Installation of Free Hide Folder:
1. Download the program from Cleanersoft.com
2. Run the downloaded file to start the installation and follow the installation screen and complete the installation.
3. After the Free Hide Folder is installed, you will be asked to enter new Password. You must remember this password otherwise you won't be able to unhide your folder or file hidden using this application.
4. Next is the registration screen. Free Hide Folder is a Freeware and wants you to register with them. But if you don't want, you can skip the registration window and start using the application without any limitation.
5. Click on Add, and browse the folder you want to hide and press ok.
6. The chosen folder will disappear after you press OK.
7. It also displays a message to back up the information for future use, incase something goes wrong with your system. Just click on the Backup icon, type the File name and it will save the backup information as .fhf file extension.
8. That's all.
Now when you want to open the folder, select the folder you want to view/unhide, and click on unhide icon from the menu bar and it will display your folder at its original location. Once you are done with editing, click on hide to hide the folder again and close the program.
You can access Free Hide Folder application from Start –> All Programs in Windows XP and Start –> Program in Windows Vista/7.